Friday, April 27, 2007

Done!

Oooo....was I in a bad place last night. I don't think I've ever been so frustrated in my entire life....tears streamed down my cheeks for more than 30 minutes even though I wasn't crying...that's how frustrated I really was from this move. Ryan and I moved the last of the stuff from our apartment to our new place last night. We rented a small truck because it didn't appear to be that much stuff. It was more than we thought!

Sometimes I think Ryan assumes I can exert as much physical strength as he can...I'm not ashamed to say - I cannot! Something tells me I'm not supposed to be able to do all that I tried to do, because I'm paying for it today because all of my muscles are weak and more stiff than I've ever felt before. When planning for this move, I asked Ryan several times if we could have someone help move the heavy stuff. He insisted that we could do it ourselves since we sold a lot of the large furniture. So, we did. And we were oh, so smart to leave only the heavy stuff remaining. Determined to help, I tried my best to be a man...literally! Out the door, through a gate, up a hill and into the truck, we hoisted, lifted, pushed and pulled furniture and box after box of books...me - in heels. Yep, in heels! Who moves in heels? Stupid me who didn't plan for schedule changes, I guess!

I had an extremely important meeting at 9:00am that couldn't be missed, but I planned to leave work at 2:00 and have Kate take me to get the truck and meet Ryan at the apartment by 5:00. My very important morning meeting got moved to 4:00pm, so I couldn't go home to change out of my suit and heels or pick up the truck (as it was, I didn't arrive to help until 7:00 because of the meeting, traffic and the fact that the truck rental company forgot to give us anything besides the truck, so I had to go pick up the stuff first)...which I think weighed heavily into my frustration for at least the loading-part of the evening.

We were both exhausted in the end (1:00am), and Ryan worked like a dog, but I'm 100%, completely DONE being a man. Never again - I swear! I can't imagine how Ryan feels today, after bearing the load that I couldn't, but I'm in pain and absolutely exhausted! In the end, the job got done and the frustrations are gone. Only the clean up remains.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I couldn't help out last night. You must always get the biggest truck , always! I actually measured everything we had and figured it out for our move and we still got the biggest truck filled to the top. You just never know.

At least, you are done moving. Now you just have to get the house together!

Anonymous said...

We have moved MANY MANY times, and each time I vow I will never do it myself again. The last time we moved was the worst- I was 5 months pregnant and a move we thought would take two truck loads took three or more. We didn't make the deadline for returning the truck (and we DID rent the biggest one!) so I had to call and plead with the woman who allowed us to drop the keys off in the middle of the night to give us a few more hours to finish up. It was just me, George and Gretchen (George's sister) to move everything, including our enormous couch, treadmill, desks, entertainment center, etc. I think next time around we'll investigate doing pods, which allows you to pack up your stuff and load it slowly ahead of time. Cheaper than hiring movers, but reduces the stress and madness of moving day.