Monday, June 2, 2008

Excellent Estate Planning Seminar

Ryan and I have been discussing the plethora of plans and precautions we need to take before or shortly after the baby is born. One of the necessary steps is estate planning. So when we heard about a seminar to learn the details of the options, we thought it may be useful to attend before choosing a lawyer and blindly spending money on the process.

We booked the session about a month ago and attended the Estate Planning Seminar this evening. I didn't really know what to expect, but Ryan mentioned it would likely be a waste of time and money, particularly once we saw how many people were there (well over 50 couples). We paid $30 for the two hour seminar and were the youngest people there, by at least 20 years.

To our surprise, it was well worth our time. The presenter was easy to understand (not over our heads or too elementary) and extremely knowledgeable (a lawyer in the firm, the son of the owner to be exact). It was generally money well-spent.

I truly thought we could likely do everything on our own, but after learning about all the choices, forms, and consequences of not doing things appropriately, I'm sold that it is a necessity. They didn't really try to sell their firm (though the papers we received do), but explained that no matter who you choose to help you through the process, it is essential to receive the guidance of a lawyer. It made perfect sense and I'd highly recommend it if you live in the DC area, whether you're single, dating, married, with kids or not. The only issue is that they don't go into the details of the process if you have minor children (they only discuss adult children, because 99.9% of attendees are old). But you can let them know if you'd like to set up a free individual consultation (where they give you a plan and a flat rate), which we did. It is worth the $30 if you have 2 hours. There are a variety of locations to attend a seminar.

Here's the link to learn more: http://www.mikecollins.com/seminars.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Leave it all to me. I am returning the favor. By the way: www.legalzoom.com. That's a shameless plug! And get some tijme so I can visit you guys!