Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Milestone!

We've had a little toilet for Gracie since her birthday. She recently started to want to sit on it, so we've explained what it is for and showed her how she should sit on it after taking off her diaper. But, we assumed it was over her head since she still doesn't communicate verbally that much yet. Even more recently she has been bringing us a diaper and wipes, but she is not really wet or dirty when we change her. I started to wonder if maybe she knew she had to pee/poop, but still the interest wasn't really there so we just change her and let it go.


But tonight when I was getting her stuff ready for a bath, she wanted to sit on the little toilet. So I took off her diaper and she sat, as usual for 3 seconds. I got her towel, started the bath, etc. But this time I noticed that she kept coming back and sitting down. Then she started the "I have to pee" hold and looked at me like, "I feel something." So I encouraged her to sit down on the toilet again and explained that she has to wait a minute. A few seconds later she got a surprised look on her face and then she looked into the little toilet. She had peed! I was so shocked. Of course I overreacted a little because I wasn't really expecting it. But she totally understood what she did. So I let her tear off her own toilet paper, something she would love to touch but is never allowed to. Of course then I had to call Ryan up to see it, though I swore I'd never make it a big deal because after all, it is a very normal part of life :-)

This is uncharted territory for me. I've never been involved in potty training. So I have no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm not going to push it, but I do hope her interest continues. It would be amazing if she would potty train herself (ha) before this baby arrives.

I'll keep you posted on whether or not she continues to be interested.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

All right Gracie!! She'll have this down in no time!

Benjamin Hamilton said...

Good for Gracie! Rachel took her sweet time w/ potty training. I actually didn't really bother too much until after Naomi was born....which turned out to be a blessing. It's a bit hard to stop what you're doing (nursing the baby, changing a diaper) when the 2 year old says they have to pee...and you remember you decided to be daring and put them in underwear that day. But, Rachel really could have cared less....she didn't care that her cousin or friends were going on the potty (peer pressure thankfully doesn't mean anything to her!), and then, over these past 4-6 months, she's gotten much better and more predictable:-) I came to realize that it's a process - not a once and done thing. I didn't want it to be a process - I thought she'd do it when she was ready and we'd be done. I now understand that it doesn't always work that way:-)

Hope your process goes smoothly and the transition to two is seamless:-)

~Jill

Erin said...

Hey Jill. How are you? Yeah, Gracie is definitely not ready yet. I was amazed when she did it, but I haven't pushed it. She isn't interested most of the time, which is fine for now. Gracie usually does the opposite of whatever we want her to do, so I figure I can help her most by not pushing her.

Glad to see on your blog that the girls are doing so well. I can't believe Naomi is almost a year old and Rachel just looks so grown up, not at all a baby anymore.

This baby is not even born yet and I'm already dreading the day they aren't babies anymore (though I could do without the first few difficult months...I do love when they're so little). Every stage after about 5 months has been my favorite so far with Gracie though, so I'm sure I'll continue that pattern for at least the next 10 years or so.

TheGirl said...

Ok i know i am totally behind on your blog, but this is a great post.I have never been involved in potty trainging either, so i am curious about these things!
way to go Gracie