I never knew California was really so different from everything I'm used to. This is the first time I've ever been here and I've only had a few hours to explore. I'm in southern CA for work, and since I have nothing else to do and everyone I know is asleep following Eastern Standard Time, I thought I'd blog about my amazement at how different it is here as compared to anywhere on the east coast. I'll try to keep this short...
- On my way here, I learned that until you literally reach San Diego, everything is a desert
- There are so many more hills (some very big hills) than I expected...and no grass or other green stuff
- People generally don't care if they are annoying you
- People are more polite than I expected (I'm not sure why, but I expected something very different)
- Everything I've seen thus far is about as clean as an amusement park (no trash around, but I just have the feeling I need a shower after each stroll)
- Pigeons are not scared of people (while having lunch, one tried to munch on my toe - and they were in the shops I was visiting...no one really cared)
- They charge you $.50 most places to use a credit/debit card
- Things are generally slightly more expensive (guessing: about $2 more)
- Air conditioning is optional (I still haven't figured this one out)
- Restrooms are public, you know, on the streets, and not in many establishments (I haven't figured this one out either...but I've had to pee most of the day)
- Traffic is nothing compared to DC (at least not what I've seen)
- People do whatever they feel like doing, generally they don't obey street signs or laws
- Everyone pours their beer from a bottle into a glass
- Speaking of alcohol, they sell it all in Rite Aid (wine, beer, coolers and liquor)
- The ocean is the same temperature as my body
- There are floaty things in the water that I couldn't identify, but I'm quite sure they belong there...I just don't know what family they belong to
- People really surf (but only after 5pm) rather than using body boards (pretty cool to watch)
- I've yet to see a cop
- When they say "historic" they mean from the 50's...the 1950s
- Sunset over the ocean is better than sunrise
While I would really like to spend more time here exploring, I quickly realized I belong on the east coast...I wouldn't fit in here naturally. I love the history, traditions, and even the conservativeness of the east coast. I know I found more differences, so when I think of them again, I'll add them just for fun. I've taken quite a few pictures to post as well, but I didn't bring the cord - will do, hopefully by the weekend.
1 comment:
I hear you. Cali is a lot different. I noticed the desert part on our trip in 2005. South Cali is all desert.
That's where Death Valley is...
I would like to go back some day. Maybe to the Rose Bowl a game!
Post a Comment