Friday, October 12, 2007

A sneak peak...

Ryan and I took the day off and headed to West Virginia to see if we could catch a glimpse of what is hopefully to come to Northern Virginia sometime soon...the changing of the leaves. It was a relaxing 12 hour day and we found a few patches of colorful trees - lots of brights reds this year.

We stopped at a pumpkin patch near Romney, WV. It was the highlight of the day for sure. We picked our own pumpkins off the vines. The first pumpkin I picked up looked beautiful on the top, but it was already taken - by a rat! I tried to pick up the pumpkin and the rat scurried around my foot. I was apparently stealing his dinner. I tried, but I couldn't scream...I must have reacted though because Ryan asked "what?!?" as it ran almost over his foot. We proceeded a little more carefully and found two perfect pumpkins. We left the place with 2 bails of hay, two large pumpkins (total of 34 lbs.), 20 gourds, nine pieces of Indian Corn and two cans of pop for $27. It was great! We couldn't even buy one pumpkin around here for that. The farmer and his wife were so nice - the wife took our picture as Ryan stuffed two bails of hay in the trunk of my Accord - guess they aren't too used to the city folk around there. It reminded me of how much I miss home (PA) and the the simple life there...and of course the friendly farmers who provide a days worth of fun for next to nothing, even though they've worked like dogs every day for the past year just to provide us with the experience.

I haven't quite had my fill of the foliage this year, so we plan to take a shorter trip once the leaves change around us. But it was so nice to drive around with no destination in mind, have time to just talk about everything and nothing, and stop to eat whenever we got hungry. I love days like today!!!



No comments: