Ryan and I always say we are going to eat better (which we do eat much better than we used to when we only had a few dollars a week for food, when pasta and Ramen Noodles were the staple), exercise and generally get and stay healthy. Well, we're slowly making progress. We're trying to go back to a lower-carb diet and work out at least 3 times each week. No, it isn't a resolution, but it is as good a time as any to begin to be less lazy and more productive.
Ryan says he's always wanted to get in shape and be healthy. Believe me, he's got enough intrinsic motivation for about 10 people when he makes his mind up about something. It is actually quite intimidating for me. He has been asking me to go to the gym with him for about a year now, and I kept saying we are too busy. I can't use that excuse anymore and I don't really want to at this point. I did make him promise though, that he'll not judge my progress against his...just because he's motivated enough to never eat chocolate, doesn't mean I am...and I'm ready to do this. Interpretation: don't remind me of my goals when I eat a potato chip or M&M, unless it becomes a habit, it makes me feel bad!
At my last "female" appointment, I decided it was time to inquire about what I need to do to prepare myself to have a baby (which we're not doing yet), and the Dr. wrote me a prescription for prenatal vitamins and told me to start taking them 3 months before I'm ready to start trying (that's in the safe for now) AND lose X-amount of weight. Of course I knew I was overweight, but I must have looked stunned, because she proceeded to explain why. I bought into her theory that by losing weight and living a healthy, active lifestyle, I'll be less likely to gain TOO much weight, more likely to have a healthy pregnancy and therefore, healthy baby and that it would be an easier delivery if I'm in good physical shape. At that point, I decided after the holidays I'd start trying - to be healthy! - no crash diets and no starving myself anymore, just exercise and eat more sensibly! Perhaps that really is the key...we shall see! I do need to catch a little of Ryan's motivation along the way!
So that basically takes us to Monday, when we went to one of the local Fairfax County gyms. I was slightly hesitant to go, not knowing what to expect (lines, scary people, etc.). But it was great! It is only $6.50 per visit/per person (discounted if you join) and it wasn't too crowded, scary or dirty at all...It is really nice! They have a spa, sauna, the biggest pool I've ever seen, racquette ball, and the gym stuff. It is very similar to a YMCA - smaller (with the exception of the pool), but nicer. Once we decide to officially join, they have free classes going on all the time, a system that tracks your weight and calories you burn (even on the weight machines) and we can go to any of the 12 locations in the county. It's really a good deal. My favorite part is...there are reglar people there, not body builders or skinny people sweating like pigs. They are all people there after work, being considerate of one another, trying to be healthy. It is great! We both really like it a lot and are excited to make it a habit!
So far...no laughing, we're beginners:
Monday, January 8th, 1 hr and 15 minutes
Erin: 330 calories + weights (concentrated on stomach)
Ryan: 320 calories + weights (just checked out all the machines)
Wednesday, January 10, 1 hour and 30 minutes
Erin: 330 calories + weights (concentrated on arms)
Ryan: 360 calories + weights (concentrated on stomach)
There's only one thing that's bothering me about this whole experience...we get to the gym around 6:30 and get home after 8:00, so that pushes dinner back quite a bit. I'm not sure how to solve this problem because it would take too long to go home and go back out (because of traffic). We're not that hungry, so perhaps smaller dinners are okay?
We'll keep you posted on the progress!
~Erin
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Not a Resolution!
Posted by
Erin
at
9:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's good to hear that this exercise thing is not a Resolution. Resolutions are set up for failure. You make them when you are drunk and you can never follow through when you come to soberism the next day.
Anyway, that's cool. I have been trying to get Amy to go with me to the gym. She just does not. We do stuff in the summer on weekends, but that is about it. Lately, I have been lax, but my general routine burns 300 calories every other day. It only takes about 30 minutes.
You guys need to streamline your experience. Then maybe you can get back for dinner! When you are starting out, I do not think that it is that imperative that you work on specific areas. Just do a good general workout. That will burn the fat and build muscle. Then you can get to focusing.
That's all I got and that is what I do. Check you later after we put all the empty beer calories on this weekend!
Post a Comment